Description : Police Dispatcher. Company : University of Wyoming. Location : Laramie, WY
Provide telephone and radio dispatching services to inform and direct campus police patrol units to incidents requiring their attention; provide information to students, staff, faculty and the public.
- This position has been deemed essential as addressed in the University of Wyoming’s Employee Handbook. Employees in essential positions may be required to work during emergency closures and winter closure based on the nature of their job duties and the reasons for the closure.
- UWPD conducts background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Offers of employment are contingent upon the completion of the background check.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receive and provide response to emergency and informational telephone calls including 911 emergency lines, radiophone, telephone for the hearing impaired, and the University directory assistance console.
- Initiate and receive public safety radio traffic using a multi-band law enforcement network to dispatch police officers; monitor frequencies of the city, county, and state law enforcement agencies; maintain logs according to Federal Communications Commission regulations.
- Operate computer aided dispatch system including maintaining officers' radio log, typing case reports, and checking on property or criminal activity.
- Operate Teletype to enter or verify wanted people and property.
- Monitor alarm and video security systems.
- Maintain computerized records of auto registration permits and citations issued.
- Provide directory assistance and information to the public; assist with lost and found; provide weather information for emergency conditions.
- Receive and log warrants for county and city law enforcement agencies; issue warrants for University police officers' use.
- Receive radioactive material deliveries after normal work hours.
- Check weapons in and out for students; maintain records.
- Change tapes and clean the Dictaphone recording system.
- Maintain records including after hour contact list, check out sheets for keys and portable radios and daily activity log.
- Attention to Detail
- Work Prioritization & Management
- Safety Awareness
- Quality Orientation
Education: High School Diploma or GED
Experience: 1 year work-related experience
Required education, licensure, certification, registration or other equipment:
- Certification to operate a Teletype must be obtained within six months of employment.
- Must be certified through State of Wyoming every two years
- Valid driver's license with a motor vehicle record (MVR) that is compliant with the University Vehicle Use Policy found at: https://www.uwyo.edu/risk/_files/docs/offical-vehicle-policy.pdf
- Bachelors degree
- Previous law enforcement, communications, or security experience
- Strong customer service skills
Complete the online application and upload the following for a complete application: cover letter, resume or C.V. and contact information for four work-related references.
UW is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. We are committed to a multicultural environment and strongly encourage applications from women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position, please call 307-766-2377 or email [email protected]
Primary Location: US-WY-Laramie
Posted Salary Range From: 36000 :
Shift: Night Job :
Job Level: Entry Level
Hiring Manager:Michael J. Samp
Unposting Date: Sep 30, 2020, 12:59:00 AM